Move WordPress Site to a New Host: How to Move your WordPress.com Site to your Self-Hosted WordPress.org Site
You started your website on WordPress.com, but now you’re ready move your WordPress site to a new host. Along with purchasing a domain name, setting up a hosting account, and installing WordPress.org, you will want to take your WordPress.com site content and move it over to your self-hosted WordPress.org site. The following will walk you through how to migrate your WordPress site. If you have any questions, you can comment after this post.
Domain Name Registration: How to Choose and Buy a Domain Name
How to Know Which Hosting Package you should Purchase
How to Install WordPress: Installing WordPress.org on your Hosting Account
Migrate WordPress Site
– You will first need to go into your WordPress.com site.
– Click on “My Site” in the upper right corner.
– Scroll down in the menu on the left side and click on “WP Admin”
– Scroll down to “Tools”, hover over it, and click on “Export”
– Click on “Start Export” under the Free Export option
– You will likely want to choose “All Content”, but if not, then you can pick and choose what you want to migrate
– Click “Download Export File”
This will then download an .xml file to your computer.
Move WordPress Site to New Host
– Log into your WordPress.org Website Dashboard (www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin)
– Hover over “Tools” in the menu on the right
– Click on “Import”
– Scroll down to “WordPress” and click “Install Now”
– Once that completes, click “Run Importer”
– Choose the .xml file you downloaded
– Click “Upload File and Import”
– You can choose to import the username you used previously, add a new user, or assign the imported items to an already existing user.
– Check the option for “Download and Import File Attachments”
– Click “Submit”
Depending on the amount of content, it can take a while for the import to complete.
Once it is complete, you will see this message:
Your WordPress.com site content has now been moved over to your new WordPress.org site!
Wondering if it’s time for you to make the switch? What questions do you have? Comment below.
Migrate your WordPress.com Site to WordPress.org
Get the guide to walk you through the process of moving your WordPress.com content over to your new self-hosted WordPress.org site.
Author: Julie Daq
I'm Julie Daq, the leading lady at The Business Builder's Blog as well as Island Business Design. I love to create, share, and implement business strategies for upcoming and current entrepreneurs. When I'm not at home glued to my laptop, I can be found sailing around the San Juan Islands with my sailor, kayaking with orcas, or eating french fries at my favorite Tuesday night hangout.